Tuesday, September 10, 2013

APW: Beginning a Travel Blog

In a sense, this has always been a travel blog.  I journey and write along the way.  However, this is a more intentional phase where I will be traveling and documenting my experiences along the way.


72 hours from now I will be waiting in Honolulu Airport to board a plane traveling west to what western civilization calls the east.  It will be my first journey to a world rooted in tradition that extends beyond the reach of British Imperialism (some of it), and further back than the days of Columbus.  I will be observing, participating, engaging with an open mind, knowing I may be relearning the basics, such as breathing, eating, walking, smiling.  I am entering this new world in a state of transition.  I am not wiping my slate clean, though I am beginning again with an experientially developed foundation.  As cliffs are formed by the prevailing winds, beating rain and the waves of time, I too have been molded by the natural forces of this earth; the events that I have not foreseen or imagined, that have all befallen me while I enact growth on this little rock. The cycling of randomness, the balance that surrounds it, and the nurturing within it.   I am a pawn, I am the chessboard, I am the stillness before the storm.

I am many things and I have lived many lives, and I am seeking not to forget them, but to simplify them into a state of present awareness, where I can engage with others as a better, more helpful self.   My journey is one of learning, and giving back.  I am indescribably grateful for all the people who I have crossed paths with and the impacts each has had on my life.  From the friends growing up in New York to camping trips in the desert and the mountains, from September holidays with family to the mentors who have guided me without trying, from the island dwellers who have humbled me with their good natures and large hearts to the amazing people I have met in just the last month and have shared experiences that I will never forget. 

I am ready to create new loops and finds pace from the persisting ones to help gain perspective and move towards attaining a state of peace with all that has and will transpire.  I am leaving with this intention for personal growth and engagement with cultures I have not yet immersed myself in.   I travel to seek balance between the diverse peoples and places of this world, to note the similarities, and to see how sustainable cooperative systems can be applied across oceans, or simply shared with neighbors.   I will be growing food, and learning how the Nepalese and Thai sustain there ways of life (and thrive) without all the advancements of the encroaching modern world.

I begin this travel blog, still on Maui, not fully ready for flight.  The moment I physically step on the plane and watch the islands become clouds as I ascend towards the atmosphere will cement that all this is real and is happening.   There will be postcards and pictures to follow, and new feelings and sensations to describe.  My eyes are wide and my heart is beating and and I will return, someday, soon myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment