Friday, September 20, 2013

APW #3 Thailand, Rak Tamachat





I am in Thailand now at a Community called Rak Tamachat.  

I flew from Manilla to Thailand with the directions to the farm.  Okay, I have my mission.  What I don't have, is any substantial knowledge of Thai culture, transit, language or other foreign communication.  Easy.  Besides being laughed at, or laughed with, a few times, I was able to go from the plane, to train, to cab, to bus, to tuk tuk truck, to farm in nearly the fastest way public transportation can take you there, though not necessarily the cheapest.  Possibly got ripped off by the Tuk Tuk Driver for a few hundred baht (around $5).

All in all, smooth sailing and beautiful farm to land at and start my Asia travels.  Rak Tamachat (Love Naturally) is a young holistic, permaculture learning center, that is in the process of converting a conventional 75 acre corn and rice farm to a permaculture designed sustainable community.  They have planted 10,000 trees and built many impressive natural structures in under 5 years.  I came here to learn, work, observe, and take a 3 day natural buildings course. 

I rise early at sunrise to catch catfish in a throw net and cook it in a rocket stove for dinner.  I help sculpt an elephant being preyed on by a two headed snake into the corner of a cob wall in the composting toilet bathroom.  We mix tapioca starch with our plaster (clay and sand) to paint a water resistant rendering as a finishing touch. I become inspired after watching Garbage Warriors, the lectures and application of natural building to build and design my own home.

I share Awa brought from Hawai'i (thank you good Conor) and mix a tea after we share a traditional Thai dinner.  Som tum (green papaya salad), kaeng khiao wan (green curry) over jasmine rice (grown in the region).  We have a slice of western life here with speakers, a billiards table, and stainless steel kitchen.  The owner of the farm is from Louisiana, and has lived in SE Asia the last 12 years, now with a Thai wife and three children.  It is an incredible piece of land with beautiful buildings, art, and lots of food for the future.  I admire the gift he has given the world.  He intends to start a strong community and share his studies with Bill Mollison and host PDC's (Permaculture Design Courses) regularly throughout the year.

It is nearing the end of monsoon season and I retire to my tent tonight, currently under a roof, with the sound of the rain dripping against the lake, with crickets, toads and mosquitos buzzing.  I hear it all and feel safe, comfortable, grateful to be able to be having these experiences.  I am writing down recipes, taking pictures and documenting with notes and blog entries what I am learning. 


What an inspiration this last week has been.  I don’t accredit it to the space from my life on Hawai’i or the introduction of new ideas, concepts, cultures into my life.  Though all of this helped, it was the personal choice to make changes into my life, and surrounding myself in an environment with the intention of learning.  We make these choices every day, with every bite and every thought .  Here is a great TedTalk, from a Thai builder, grower, and seed saver (all simple), that talks about the simplicity of making life easier for yourself. 
 
 
Grateful to have met you all in different walks of life, I'll be thinking of you on my next trip, to Angkor Wat in Cambodia.  More soon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment