Friday, November 9, 2012

All Pursuits Worthwhile: Wishing for Less Instead of More

 

I am a boy pushing a matchbox car along a winding cliffside road.
I am witnessing the boy.  He is smiling.  He has not yet fallen.
I am the emptiness of the sky above the winding road.
I am the winding road for the wheels and the feet to follow.
I am the driver, head down, wheels between the guardrails.
I am the passenger who forgets to look at the plants that line the road. 
I forget to watch them grow.  I forget that everything changes.
 
I do not smell the changing of the seasons,
The rotting mangoes, the fallen rocks, the perfect day
I am the driver, head down, oblivious eyes.
I do not measure time between breaths as the world slows to a halt.
I do not think of the last time I jumped to touch a roof.
I do not hear the world over the ringing of what I thought was urgent.
I cannot hear myself over the rain.  
I cannot hear the rain over myself.


I cannot see myself as the boy.
When was the last time I sat and took a breath.
I always thought I could handle solitary prison.
I always thought a superhero was imperfect when they didn’t save the world on their first try.
And now, I am having trouble with the day ahead of me.
 
I am the boy who grew up and still wants to push the matchbox car.
I am the boy with his head out the window watching the world pass by.
I am the boy who grew up trying to shift the wind.
I am the boy today.   
Today, I am not thinking of tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment