Tuesday, October 30, 2012

All Pursuits Worthwhile: Personal Goals


This is not a bucket list. 
This is not a to do list. 
This is part of the equation. 
It is on the axis of time
revolving around an unknown
larger in scope and theory than myself. 
 
I am in transition.  Perhaps, besides being born, or even then, I, or we, always am and will be.  All it takes is recognition, awareness.  There is the great expanse and the microscopic moment, which has infinite potential to be magnified into an incomprehensible bliss or a cryptic smile from the crescent moon.   What triggers this thought train wheeling down the track just before the brakeman chucks back his lever to halt into the station (or does he)?  Why, the answer is life of course, and her endless gusts of daily miracles.

Growing up?  Hah!  What?! Wait...  Maybe I am.  Not in age or maturity.  We are always experiencing growth, so to deny that is to underestimate your shadow’s volition.  Growing up and in down and around.  Most like Growing in.  Growing into my feet, accepting this is my body, my fingers which run through my hair twenty minutes after an ocean jaunt, warm from the sun - not yet dry.  Growing into my role here.  Trading in my tricycle for a tree to climb.  We are always inadvertently receiving and giving.

I’m lucky.  So lucky.  I get to work with plants.  Every day.  I get to watch them grow.

Goals blurted out like a two hour delayed urination in a time crunched, backseat knee cramped, car ride out of the city into the greenery.  GO!  Farm rural Spain, cruise Alaska's mountains and vastness, road trip Australia, trek Nepal, kibbutzim life in Israel, backpack Milford Sound, taste small town Italy, salivate on a tree ripened peach, Haleakala quarterly, create a community, share a Farmer’s Market, realize a gift economy, host a seed savers exchange, Truly learn compassion, see a sunrise after a night in a pub on the Irish countryside, love the way Zack loved life, people, plants.

I grew into this.  This grew into me.  I will pursue this.  Why?  All pursuits worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment